A discipline committee of the Real Estate Council of British Columbia (the “Council”) accepted the Consent Order Proposal submitted by Michael Randolph Cowling, and found that Mr. Cowling committed professional misconduct when he:
- failed to make written disclosure of known latent defects in the property to the complainants prior to his clients’ acceptance of an offer, which defects included:
- unauthorized alterations to the back deck of the property subject to an outstanding permit application; and
- an illegal suite that was rented out illegally at the time of the complainant’s offer.
A discipline committee of the Council has ordered, and Mr. Cowling has agreed to, the following penalties:
- a suspension of 14 days;
- a discipline penalty of $2,500;
- enforcement expenses of $1,500; and
- successful completion of the Real Estate Trading Services Remedial Education.
Real Estate Services Act
- 35(1)(a) [Misconduct by licensee] Read more - will open in a new tab
Real Estate Rules
Full consent order is available as a PDF.